Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The day after...

Can you believe it, after I got sick, and had to go to the vet to get pricked and tortured,
I came home and Mom gave me a bath!!!!!





It is so not fair. So I have been repaying her.
I make her get up everyy couple of hours to take me out.
She has to go with me because I am unsteady on my feet
and I might fall in the pool.


I am eating again and have been bugging her all morning
to take me for a walkie, but the doctor told her to keep me quiet for another day.
Another not fair.......




Mom did tell me some good news, she is taking me out on my boat this weekend! I am happy about that.
Today she is going to  get my new medicine. it is DDAVP for those who want to know.
More information on my new disease (lucky me... another one...)
I spent the day at the vet yesterday, where they kept taking away my water and stuff, this is why....

The modified water deprivation test is the most important test for confirming a diagnosis of diabetes insipidus once all other causes of excessive thirst and urination have been ruled out. This is a labor intensive test that may require a full day of hospitalization.


Diabetes insipidus (DI) is a metabolic disorder characterized by excessive, extreme urination, and accompanied by undue thirst. It is either caused by impaired production of a hormone called ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) from the brain (central DI), or an impaired ability of the kidney to respond properly to the ADH (nephrogenic DI).

Central DI can occur if there is damage to the part of the brain that makes the ADH. Trauma or cancer would be potential causes of this kind of damage.(the vet thinks it was my seizures and heart condition) Most cases are "idiopathic"; in other words, there is no known cause.

Nephrogenic (originating from the kidneys) DI is a very rare congenital disorder that also occurs for no known reason.

There is no apparent age, gender, or breed predilection for DI. Most cases occur in dogs; cats are rarely affected.

19 comments:

D.K. Wall said...

Hope the new medicine helps. We can lobby your mom to avoid those bath things - ugh!

Yas said...

Hi Kira, hope your're feeling much better, glad to know you're eating again. Have fun on your boat ride and we hope the medicine helps you! Keeping paws crossed for your well being!!

Cheers,
Maxx

Martha said...

How nice to see you smiley face Kira - we cannot think what your mom was thinking about - a bath after all you had been through!
Well it is only right that she is now taking you out until you fully recover.
Hope the new medicine does the trick.
A trip on the boat will be the best medicine.
love you lots
Martha & Bailey xxx

Moose said...

The whole day at the vet and you were awake the whole time? My vet could never do that because I howl the whole time I am in jail and awake and I am not even a howling breed! That is a real bummer... AND a bath AND no walkies AND no private time outside? See if you can chew something up while she is not looking! Definitely got to get back at her, just no more seizures!
Maybe all that fur makes you hot and thirsty? No? I guess they would have figured that out by now.
Hope things get better for you...

Maxmom said...

Hey there Kira's mom

You sound like you are on top of things but we know that it is very worrying to have our beloved doggies ill.

Please know that we are thinking of you. Now you have the proper diagnosis, I am sure that they will be able to address it in the best possible way.

Thank you so much for sharing Kira's diagnosis. That way we can all learn too.

We love you lots. Take care and hang in there!

Love from
MAX & MAX's mom in SA

The 'splorin' Wolfies said...

rotten day huh?

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

In solidarity with woo, I went to the vet on Tuesday (it was chekhk up time fur me)

BUT sadly, I love woo lots BUT I'm not letting her do the bath thing to me!

Paws khrossed the new meds help make woo Kira again!

I am sure a nice trip on your yacht khomplete with pampering by the khabin boys will cheer woo up!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

The Army of Four said...

I think that the very handsome Max and his mom said it very well. I'd only like to add that it's just HORRIBLE that your mom gave you a bath. HORRIBLE!
Love,
Ammy

Deborah said...

I can't believe your Mom gave you a bath either, after a terrible day you had..but you have to admit, it probably made you feel better, right?

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Not good news that you have DI, but it is good that now you can take a medicine to help you be better - we are hoping it helps a lot, Kira. Sorry about the bath, but you do look very beautiful today.

Happy sailing.

Woos, the OP Pack

Mochi and Bali said...

Hi Kira! I'm glad you're feeling better and eating again! I hope the new medicine helps you!

Mochi

PS...sorry about the BATH!!!

Dexter said...

OK, those were a lot of big words talking about scary sickie things so the Mango is just going to ignore them and focus on those beautiful pictures of your most floofy and lovely self.

A boat ride should make you feel very happy.

Slobbers,
Mango

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Well, baths are horrible, but you do look really lovely after your bath!

Steve

Ozzie the OZmonster & Zowie said...

Glad to see you sporting that beeewootiful smile. You look more like yourself.

Ozzie

PS. Hope you get some good snackies for all your hard work.

Jack & Moo said...

We are furry glad that woo are feeling better. Woo look so lovely & fluffy, and its good to see your beawootiful Siberian smile again!

a-roos to yus,
Jack a-roo

Two French Bulldogs said...

Glad you are feeling better. What was mom thinkin? Dr. Vet, bath no walkie....oh dear!
Benny & Lily

BeadedTail said...

We hope your new medicine helps you! Now if only we can get your mom to realize that a bath and no walkie is NO help at all!

As far as the DI, is that the same as regular diabetes? Our Uncle Samy has diabetes so gets shots twice a day. He's an American Eskimo.

Lindsay said...

Oh my! Diabetes, that's pretty scary! I'm glad that you're mom is taking such good care of you and staying on top of it.

Ziggy Stardust said...

Kira, I hope the medicine helps you so you don't have sickies any more. A boat ride will make you feel better I am sure.

licks and sniffs, Sasha